Quran Talks...
This blog aims to spread the authentic teachings of Islam and to promote the learning of the Holy Quran. Contributing are sisters studying under Dr. Farhat Hashmi at Al Huda Institute Canada, who will be sharing first hand accounts of their learning.

Bismillah

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Mocking and laughing at others

O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): Nor let some women laugh at others: It may be that the (latter are better than the (former): Nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong. [Al-Hujaraat:11]



Reflections, October 16, 2006:
Traits of the one who crosses limits:
1) Laughs at others
2) Defames others through sarcasm
3) Calls others by offensive and insulting names
Ayah 11 of Surah al-Hujaraat literally shook me inside out! To speak of myself first and foremost, I can admit that on average there isn't a single day that goes by that something of such sort can slip out of my mouth, whether it is intentionally or not. After today's tafsir, I had to sit down for a while and gather myself together. Not only was I in a state of shock but I could see that many sisters around me were also in shock, it was written on their faces.
I always know in the back of my mind that I shouldn't be uttering such nonsense. Why? Because a) I call myself a believer and b) I represent Islam through my appearance...not realizing that I may be hurting my so-called representation through my speech.
The solution to such problems is to seek forgiveness. Forgiveness from the people we have mocked and to seek forgiveness and repent to Allah, because by making fun of His creations is as if we are mocking our Creator. Allah (s.w.t) has given us the opportunity to repent, the doors of tawbah are always open for us, yet we don't take up this chance He has given us in this world.
This is the month of Ramadan, one of the best times to change ourselves, and I can not think of a better time to have come across this ayah! There are only a few days of Ramadan left and we should take this opportunity to change ourselves.
-Fatima Malik (Mississauga)


"Just kidding"
After today's Tafseer of Surah Al-Hujaraat verse 11, I was thinking about how amazing The Quran is!! It doesn't even leave out the minor details in life .The previous verse (v.10) tells us how we as Muslims are like 'brothers' to one another; and in case of any differences between us we must reconcile (if we want to be bestowed with Allah's mercy). But from where and how do these differences arise? The answer is in the next verses, which is mainly when we cross the limits of Allah after having been given the guidance of how to run our lives. When we cross those limits, the problems begin.
In verse 11 we are being told not to make fun of each other, defame each other through sarcastic remarks (using our tongues or body language) and also, not to call each other by offensive nicknames. These are things we do everyday! We do so maybe due to differences we may have with another person, or due to arrogance, jealousy or some other hidden complex in our mind. Sometimes we do it just to 'entertain' others. All these things are done under the cover of "just joking", "just kidding around" or "just wanna have fun". I think if we are more conscious of what we are saying/doing, stop and reflect on our actions, try to find the hidden reason behind our behavior, and work on getting rid of that cause, we can InshaAllah save ourselves from being amongst the fasiqoon (those who cross limits).May Allah (s.w.t) help us through this everyday struggle and make us from amongst those who succeed. Ameen.

- Ayesha Baig (California)

"My Book of Deeds?"
Today's ayah’s tafseer sounded to me as if Allah is pointing out just to me, and reading my book of deeds (which roughly sketches my behavior with people). Some things which we casually do on a daily basis could be a means of making us a Faasiq instead of a Momin (in Allah's sight) for example; to taunt, make fun, insult, blame, use bad words/names for others, publicize somebody’s defects, etc.
Reasons of why people cross limits and become Faasiq:
1) Firstly, we do this if we have differences (opposition, competition) with someone.
2) Secondly, it is due to the many complexes that we live with (Hatred, Jealousy, Pride, assuming greatness)
- Salma Ghansar (Mississauga)


"The Epidemic of Mockery"
I have to say I found today's tafsir stressful - everywhere you look you find examples of people mocking others. After class I felt scared to speak! It has become so much of a norm that even unintentionally we are all constantly commenting on things and people, and as such highlighting their faults. Alhumdullillah for all the sharing and tips we heard today. May Allah (SWT) help us reform. Ameen.

- Rushda Haq (Mississauga)


"In the Arms of Believers"
The first day I came to Canada and coming to the Hostel something happened that really encouraged me. When I arrived at the hostel, I went to see my new room. Two people were in the room and as I was coming down the stairs, I slipped and fell. At that moment I was expecting the two people to start laughing at me for falling down the stairs, but they didn’t. I was really impressed and it made such an impact on me that ‘they didn’t laugh at me’, or ridicule me. It was such a big encouragement and I didn’t even feel so embarrassed. I really looked up to them because of the control they had over themselves. If people were to stop ridiculing, mocking, and laughing at others, our relations would be filled with love not hatred. If only we were to learn how big of a difference it makes.
- Ayesha Ahmed (Texas)

"The Role of a Muslim"
I really understood the role of a Muslim. Extremely selfless, how beautiful a character would be if he thought of others before him. Allah addresses with "O you who believe", we all do believe, but it is the small things that we forget. To do Islah between two people, one needs to be completely selfless because at that point you are thinking of others before you, and the reward for it is tremendous. May Allah give us the Iman to think of others before ourselves, and realize the reality of this world. Ameen
- Sabah Paracha


"Got Fisq?"
After listening to yesterday’s tafseer of Surah Al-Hujaraat, ayah 11, I realized how lightly we take the command of not to mock one another. We do it so naturally that it has become a very cruel habit, especially among the youth. We often tease each other either with words or by using body language about various things in order to make people laugh - but do we even stop to realize that this is haram? The one who does this is a Faasiq… is it worth it?
- Maryam Hameed (Ottawa)


"Victoria and Joanne"
Today in surah al-Hujaraat ayah 11, Ustaza talked in detail about how people mock each other in different ways. I remembered when I started secondary school in England; one of my class fellows named Victoria had a dispute with my friend Joanne. It’s not even some thing worth to be mentioned. However things got bad and Victoria was made fun of. She was made to stand beside the wall and there were many girls and boys all hooting at her, passing comments on her red short and curly hair, her round face. I was 11 years old that time (1988) and I still remember the scene. Every body was pushing my friend Joanne to hit her-who was feeling guilty all the more. It was horrible. The way Victoria was standing beside the wall with a sad and helpless look made us feel terrible. Although we did make up with her and became real good friends, still that moment could have built a feeling of hopelessness, anger, despair or hatred in Victoria.
These incidents are common-if only one places oneself in this kind of situation when been ridiculed, it might make one realize the agony any body can go through.
MAY ALLAH (SWT) GIVE US GUIDANCE. AMEEN.
- Ayesha Asad (Etobicoke)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home